What do collagen injections do?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Collagen injections of the past included Zyderm and Zyplast. They were useful to reduce fine lines and wrinkles along the perioral, nasolabial folds, and other facial areas. Collagen was porcine or pig collagen and has now been replaced with Hyaluronic acids including Juvaderm and Radiessce. These are longer acting and have more promising results. 
Daniel Kapp
Daniel Kapp on behalf of MDLIVE
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Collagen injections are typically used to fill small fine lines and wrinkles typically in the perioral area. Collagen was the first generation of injectable fillers. For the most part, collagen is no longer used today as most plastic surgeons and dermatologists choose to use hyaluronic acid fillers which have taken the place of the collagen fillers.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

How Can I Reverse the Signs of Aging On My Face?
What Are the Common Types of Chemical or Acid Peels?
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?
Does Hyaluronic Acid Help with Aging Skin?