What is the most common type of excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)?

Palmar hyperhidrosis, or sweaty palms, is the most common manifestation, and the most socially disturbing. Sufferers fear any situation that may require hand contact. This impacts on one's ability to interact effectively in the workplace and can have devastating effects on one's social interaction with the opposite sex.

Many patients can simultaneously experience plantar hyperhidrosis (soles of feet), axillary (arm pits) hyperhidrosis, or facial blushing. The different combinations of symptoms can vary between individuals; however, the palmar sweating is the most difficult to control and is the most troubling.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

One Woman’s Beautification Adventures
One Woman’s Beautification Adventures
In the interest of science and my own personal quest, I have tried a variety of health and beauty treatments that I have seen demonstrated on TV. You’...
Do clogged skin pores cause pimples?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
When a pore becomes clogged with oil and dead skin cells, a blackhead or whitehead may result. I...
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them.
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Chin?