What causes sunburn?

While the process itself is not known in complete detail, UV (ultraviolet) radiation from the sun, mainly UVB rays, causes damage to cells, which leads to cell death. Layers of the skin also thicken as a result of certain types of skin cells dying, and the redness is due to the response of the skin's blood vessels.

Sunburn is caused by over-exposure to the sun's rays. In an attempt to protect itself from the burning rays, the skin releases the pigment melanin to darken it's exposed layers. Heredity dictates just how much melanin is released and how much protection is provided.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Sunburn is caused by too much exposure to ultraviolet light. Everyone reacts differently to the sun's rays -- some people sunburn faster than others. For some, sunburn begins within 15 minutes of exposure. If you think you are going to be out in the sun for 15 minutes or longer, take precautions to protect yourself from the sun's rays.

There are times when you may think that you are protected from the sun's rays, when in fact, you are not. Clouds do not screen out the ultraviolet rays. It is possible to get sunburned on an overcast day just as easily as on a bright and sunny day. Wearing a hat alone may not always protect your face from the sun. Snow, water and sand reflect the sun's rays. Be aware of these factors when staying outdoors, and always wear sunscreen on exposed skin.

The amount of melanin (the substance that affects the color and tone of your skin) in your skin affects how fast you will burn. People with fair skin sunburn faster than those with darker skin do. Also, certain medications (including some antibiotics and contraceptives) can increase a person's sensitivity to the sun.

Avoid exposure to the sun's rays between the hours of 11:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M., when they are at their peak. Take special care to prevent sunburn during those hours. Always wear sunscreen and wear a hat, if possible.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Fun Facts About Goosebumps
Fun Facts About Goosebumps
Did You Know …. 1. The term “goosebumps” comes from the way a person’s skin looks when they form: like a plucked goose. 2. Medical terms for goosebu...
What can cause skin irritation?
People with sensitive skin may find their skin reacts easily to various substances, becoming red...
6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin
6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin
Keep your skin hydrated with these simple tips from a dermatologist.
Is there Any Exercise I Can Perform for the Muscles in My Neck?