What causes moles to form on the skin?

Dr. Susan Evans
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

Moles are dark spots on your skin caused by increased melanin cells gathered in one place.

Usually brown or black in color, moles are caused when melanocytes grow in clusters or clumps. And thank your parents for the gift. “Moles are usually congenital, and you can get new ones until about the age of 40,” L’Oreal Paris Consulting Dermatologist, Gervaise Gerstner, MD, told us.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Are Your Personal Care Products Putting Your Kids at Risk
The first baby shampoo debuted in the 1950s. Johnson & Johnson marketed the product with the slogan “no more tears.” Decades later, it turned out ther...
What is an esthetician?
An esthetician specializes in skin care with procedures related to cosmetology. He or she is not a d...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?