What causes moles to form on the skin?

Dr. Susan Evans
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

Moles are dark spots on your skin caused by increased melanin cells gathered in one place.

Usually brown or black in color, moles are caused when melanocytes grow in clusters or clumps. And thank your parents for the gift. “Moles are usually congenital, and you can get new ones until about the age of 40,” L’Oreal Paris Consulting Dermatologist, Gervaise Gerstner, MD, told us.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

More Than A Mole
More Than A Mole
Are you keeping an eye on your skin? Research shows that people who regularly check themselves for suspicious skin changes are 44% less likely to die ...
Do my genes control how fast my skin ages?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
While environmental and lifestyle factors no doubt play a major role in how you age, experts say tha...
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them.
Is There an Eye Cream with Caffeine for Puffy Eyes?