What causes an atypical mole?

People seem to inherit a tendency toward developing atypical moles from their parents. Although spending time in the sun may increase the risk of developing atypical moles, atypical moles can appear on parts of the body that are usually hidden from the sun, such as the buttocks. An atypical mole may be tan or brown, and has an irregular shape. If you think you have an atypical mole, see your family doctor or a dermatologist.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

One Woman’s Beautification Adventures
One Woman’s Beautification Adventures
In the interest of science and my own personal quest, I have tried a variety of health and beauty treatments that I have seen demonstrated on TV. You’...
Will thermage or surgery be better choice for dramatic improvement?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Surgery is probably the better choice for those looking for drastic results. Thermage is likely to l...
6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin
6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin
Keep your skin hydrated with these simple tips from a dermatologist.
What Causes Wrinkles?
What Causes Wrinkles?