What can cause skin irritation?

People with sensitive skin may find their skin reacts easily to various substances, becoming red, itchy, and inflamed or breaking out into a rash or hives.

Common sources of skin irritation:
  • ingredients in skin care products or detergents, such as preservatives, fragrances, or dyes
  • weather changes or patterns, such as heat, cold, humidity, sun, and wind
  • metals in jewelry, such as nickel or silver
  • plants, such as poison ivy or oak, grasses, or flowers

People with skin allergies or sensitive skin should use hypoallergenic products and avoid exposure to known skin irritants. If you have sensitive skin or skin allergies, see your healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment recommendations.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Delicious Skin Saver
Delicious Skin Saver
Why is it that the minute cold weather hits, your skin gets dry and chapped? Partly because the colder the air, the less moisture skin can hold. But a...
What kind of facial cleanser should I look for if I have oily skin?
With oily skin, your best bet is a facial cleanser with a neutral or lower pH -- it will be gentler ...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
What Are Inexpensive Treatments for Under Eye Circles and Brown Spots?