What are the biofeedback mechanisms going on in the skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
There are definitely amazing biofeedback mechanisms going on in your skin all the time. Those tireless inflammatory cells go into action to repair the stratum corneum when it is wounded by a sunburn, a scrape, or excessive dryness caused by too much washing, which strips the skin of natural oils. But those internal systems are not so specific that they would stimulate oil production on parched skin, and no research makes this claim. Dry skin may instigate pimple production, however, as an inflammatory stress reaction. And drying out the skin may clog pores with dead keratinocytes (which helps to create an acne situation), but it doesn't activate the sebaceous glands.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Care

How can I get rid of turkey neck without surgery?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
There are several strategies for getting rid of your turkey neck using topical products, depending o...
How do I determine the amount of washing my skin needs?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Besides the type of cleanser you use, the amount of washing you do is important. Unless you have ver...
What are the side effects of chemotherapy drugs on skin?
Some chemotherapy drugs can cause rashes on the skin. Please notify your doctor if this occurs.
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
Avoid breakouts, rough, dry skin and more with these easy skin care tips. You probably have a morning and nightly skin care routine that includes clea...