What are pigmented birthmarks?

Deborah Mulligan
Deborah Mulligan on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
After the birth of your beautiful baby, as you unwrap their blankets and examine them, counting all their fingers and toes, you may notice birthmarks that escaped you in the first few moments after the excitement of the birthing experience.  Mongolian spots are blue-black pigmented areas common in dark-skinned babies.  They are often found on the buttocks and usually fade in the first year.  Brown birthmarks include moles (congenital nevus) and light brown areas (café au lait spots) are permanent markings and rarely are related to concerning medical problems.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
How long should I spend washing my face?
The whole point to cleansing is to remove dirt, contaminants and surface oils from the skin. To make...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
Can I Do a Chemical or Acid Peel At Home?