What are pigmented birthmarks?

Deborah Mulligan
Deborah Mulligan on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
After the birth of your beautiful baby, as you unwrap their blankets and examine them, counting all their fingers and toes, you may notice birthmarks that escaped you in the first few moments after the excitement of the birthing experience.  Mongolian spots are blue-black pigmented areas common in dark-skinned babies.  They are often found on the buttocks and usually fade in the first year.  Brown birthmarks include moles (congenital nevus) and light brown areas (café au lait spots) are permanent markings and rarely are related to concerning medical problems.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Are Your Personal Care Products Putting Your Kids at Risk
The first baby shampoo debuted in the 1950s. Johnson & Johnson marketed the product with the slogan “no more tears.” Decades later, it turned out ther...
What Are the Common Types of Chemical or Acid Peels?
3 Tips to Stop Puffy Eyes
3 Tips to Stop Puffy Eyes
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?