How do thyroid hormone levels affect the skin?

Thyroid hormone levels can affect the way your skin looks and feels. If you have abnormally low thyroid levels -- a condition called hypothyroidism -- your skin may become very dry. If you have abnormally high thyroid levels (hyperthyroidism), you may sweat excessively, leading to wet, clammy skin. If you notice any skin changes, see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist. Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may want to test your thyroid hormone levels. 
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Low thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) causes fish scale–like thickening of the skin that's rough and dry (myxedema). The skin on the hands and feet can turn yellow, the hair on the eyebrows can fall out, other hair becomes coarse, and brittle, and the nails break easily. Hyperthyroidism, caused by too much thyroid hormone, creates the opposite reaction in the skin: it may become moist and smooth, with a tendency to flush and get red. Some people with hyperthyroidism get a bronzed appearance to the skin (melanoderma) and even melasma on the cheeks.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Foods That Make Your Skin Glow
Foods That Make Your Skin Glow
Top skin creams average about $400 per ounce (and you thought gas was expensive!), yet most offer little proof that they do half of what they promise....
Is my skin more sensitive in winter?
Your skin may be more sensitive in winter. The dry weather in winter triggers eczema and other skin ...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Drooping Chin?