How do thyroid hormone levels affect the skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Low thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) causes fish scale–like thickening of the skin that's rough and dry (myxedema). The skin on the hands and feet can turn yellow, the hair on the eyebrows can fall out, other hair becomes coarse, and brittle, and the nails break easily. Hyperthyroidism, caused by too much thyroid hormone, creates the opposite reaction in the skin: it may become moist and smooth, with a tendency to flush and get red. Some people with hyperthyroidism get a bronzed appearance to the skin (melanoderma) and even melasma on the cheeks.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Are Your Personal Care Products Putting Your Kids at Risk
The first baby shampoo debuted in the 1950s. Johnson & Johnson marketed the product with the slogan “no more tears.” Decades later, it turned out ther...
What Causes Lip Lines?
What Causes Lip Lines?
Can I Do a Chemical or Acid Peel At Home?
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Chin?