How is a sunburn related to actinic keratosis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
People who tan or sunburn regularly may also be at risk for actinic keratosis. Actinic keratosis is a white, pink, or brown spot or patch on a part of your skin that is often not protected well enough from ultraviolet (UV) light. It may be described as rough or crusty in texture, and you will probably have more than one in the area. It may be small at first, but could grow in time. Actinic keratosis should be taken seriously since they may become cancerous.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
Think your complexion is the product of your genes? Your daily health and skin care habits can make or break your appearance. "Only about 10 percent ...
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?
How Can I Reverse the Signs of Aging On My Face?
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?