How do I know if my mole is cancer?

Dr. Jill Onesti, MD
Surgical Oncologist

A simple tool to help you determine if a new mole or skin lesion may be skin cancer is to remember the ABCDEs of melanoma, which indicate a higher concern for cancer: 

• Asymmetry: a lesion that doesn't look the same on both sides
  • Borders: irregular borders that aren't smooth and round
  • Color: darker or multiple shades of skin lesion
  • Diameter: size bigger than an eraser on a pencil
  • Evolution: a skin lesion that has changed since last looking at it

If you notice even one of these findings, you should ask your doctor to evaluate and biopsy the mole or lesion.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site.  In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Worried if a mole is more than just a mole? In this video, Dr. Oz gives his method for diagnosing a troublesome mole.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Mercury was the Roman god of shopkeepers, thieves, tricksters and transporters of goods. Bingo! We’re not sure how all those centuries ago they knew w...
What causes moles to form on the skin?
Dr. Susan EvansDr. Susan Evans
Moles are dark spots on your skin caused by increased melanin cells gathered in one place.
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Chin?