How can a surgeon help someone decide whether to get cosmetic surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
It is OUR responsibility as Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons to guide each patient to the safest and most effective procedure available. Unfortunately, more cosmetic surgery procedures are performed by Non-plastic surgeons than plastic surgeons! In fact, a large portion of my practice is involved in repairing sub-standard breast implant and augmentations from all over the globe. It is vital, to discuss the risks and benefits of the surgery with your surgeon. Realistic expectations and potential for scarring must be reviewed and discussed during your consultation process. During my consultation, I perform a thorough history of ALL medical conditions and problems (medications, allergies, past surgeries, past medical history, pertinent laboratories, etc.) Next, a comprehensive examination of the specific body part is performed with surgical markings. Every week, my office TURNS down patients that are either unrealistic or poor surgical candidates. In general, plastic surgery and psychotherapy really do go hand in hand.
The truth about cosmetic surgery is that every person has different needs and can tolerate different levels of risk. And it is up to a sensible, nongreedy plastic surgeon to explain the types of procedures that are available, from skin care to noninvasive procedures to real surgery. The risks of each procedure need to be honestly assessed and explained. And finally, surgeons needs to be able to turn down patients who are either not realistic or have medical or psychological risks that exceed the benefits of the chosen procedures.

Cosmetic surgery provides wonderful benefits, improving appearance and psychological well-being. And recipients of cosmetic surgery span all aspects of society, from blue-collar workers to clerical workers, to chemists, to celebrities and even politicians. Successful cosmetic surgery relies on the responsibility of surgeons and companies that provide the drugs, implants and devices that fuel the specialty. And, finally, cosmetic surgery requires that both the surgeon and the patient exercise some common sense.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Skin Care

6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Psoriasis
A psoriasis diagnosis can be surprising—and because the exact cause of the condition in unknown—confusing. Take charge of your condition and treatment...
What should I use to keep skin clean and moist?
To keep your skin clean and moist, wash with lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser formulated for...
10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist
10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist
Get the facts about vampire facials, cryotherapy, fish pedicures and other strange spa trends.
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?