How is a sunburn related to skin cancer?

The UV rays that cause a sunburn don't just affect the top layer of your skin. They may sink into your skin cells and alter the DNA of the cell. This can lead to skin cancers like basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma years after the sunburn took place. In fact, a really bad sunburn early in life can mean that you have twice the risk of getting melanoma later. And just six sunburns in a lifetime, regardless of severity or age, also puts you at twice the risk.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Fun Facts About Goosebumps
Fun Facts About Goosebumps
Did You Know …. 1. The term “goosebumps” comes from the way a person’s skin looks when they form: like a plucked goose. 2. Medical terms for goosebu...
How can an esthetician help me keep my skin healthy?
Ashley LazzariniAshley Lazzarini
An esthetician should always consult with the client to get from point A to Z with the health of you...
6 Ways to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Winter
6 Ways to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Winter6 Ways to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Winter6 Ways to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Winter6 Ways to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Winter
Prevent dry, flaky skin with these simple tips from a dermatologist.
How Can I Make My Skin Glow?
How Can I Make My Skin Glow?