How can I do a skin check at home, and how often do I need to do it?

Stripping down and inspecting your moles, freckles, and other skin spots isn't exactly fun, but it is smart. Especially for anyone over 30, since catching even the riskiest skin cancers early almost guarantees a cure.

Follow these steps to do a skin self-exam:
  • Look at the front and the back of your body in a mirror.
  • Look at your left and right sides. Raise your arms and bend your elbows.
  • Look at your underarms, forearms, and palms and the back of your upper arms.
  • Sit down and look at the back of your legs and feet, the spaces between your toes, and the soles of your feet.
  • Use a mirror to examine the back of your neck and scalp. Use a blow dryer on a low setting to examine your entire scalp.
  • Use a hand mirror to examine your back and your buttocks.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
How Can I Make My Skin Glow?
How Can I Make My Skin Glow?
Is There an Eye Cream with Caffeine for Puffy Eyes?
What Causes Lip Lines?
What Causes Lip Lines?