How is a sunburn diagnosed?

You're likely to be able to diagnose or detect a sunburn yourself. Your skin may show signs of the burn with redness, warmth, and pain. These symptoms may start appearing a few hours after the time spent in the sun or tanning bed. You may also notice blistering, if it is a bad burn, and peeling later on. If you believe you might have a sensitivity to light and want a clinical diagnosis, your doctor can give you an exam, talk to you about sunburns you've had in the past, and conduct phototesting (running an experiment with a small skin area to see how much UV light produces a reaction).

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Advanced BCC: Questions to Ask Your Healthcare Team
While basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common type of skin cancer, each case of BCC is different, and treatment will vary from person to person....
How can surgery help control excessive sweating?
Dr. Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDDr. Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
The goal of surgery for hyperhidrosis, excessive sweating, is to eliminate the constant autonomic st...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can I Make My Skin Glow?
How Can I Make My Skin Glow?