How can I prevent puffy eyes?

Dr. Ellen S. Marmur, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

If you have puffy eyes, you are either retaining water or not draining it normally. Remember that sleeping puts the parasympathetic nervous system in control and allows peripheral vessels near the skin to open up, thus moving nutrients to the skin and draining fluid from it. Not getting enough sleep stops that process of normal fluid balancing from happening. Water retention shows up more in the skin, and especially under the eyes, but you are actually retaining fluid everywhere. Besides a lack of sleep, puffy eyes can be triggered by a sinus infection, a cold, or an allergy. Get enough sleep, and avoid salty foods, which cause water retention. Elevating your head with an extra pillow may help gravity along in the drainage process. Make sure that your puffiness isn't an inflammatory reaction to a skin care product, and see your ophthalmologist to rule out an anatomical symptom of something more serious.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Mercury was the Roman god of shopkeepers, thieves, tricksters and transporters of goods. Bingo! We’re not sure how all those centuries ago they knew w...
How do I know if my mole is cancer?
Dr. Jill Onesti, MDDr. Jill Onesti, MD
A simple tool to help you determine if a new mole or skin lesion may be skin cancer is to remember t...
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
Avoid breakouts, rough, dry skin and more with these easy skin care tips.
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?