How do I evaluate what kind of skin I have?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
It's important to realize that skin does not exist in a vacuum. The way it reacts is tied to everything in your life. If you wake up and have pimples, you need to ask yourself, "Am I under stress?" "Did I eat something strange?" "Am I getting my period?" To evaluate what kind of skin you are having (and why), do some reconnaissance work and ask constructive questions of yourself. Once you solve the mystery of why your skin is behaving a certain way, you have a better chance of remedying it successfully. 
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...
You can evaluate what kind of skin you have with lens-cleaning paper, the kind you use to clean glasses or a camera lens. First, wash your face normally, pat it dry, and wait about 15 minutes. Then, place the lens-cleaning paper on different parts of your face. Where your face is oily, it will stick or pick up oil. If it doesn't stick anywhere, you have dry skin. If the lens paper sticks or picks up oil only on your forehead, nose, and chin, you have mixed or normal skin. If it sticks or picks up oil on many parts of your face, you have oily skin. Use what you've learned to talk with your doctor about choosing the right skin care products.     

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Mercury was the Roman god of shopkeepers, thieves, tricksters and transporters of goods. Bingo! We’re not sure how all those centuries ago they knew w...
How is cellulite formed?
No one likes the puckering and bubbling of our skin that comes with age. It can strike anyone, from ...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
Are Organic Skin Care Products More Effective Than Synthetic Ones?