How can my child's ears be pinned back without surgery?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Ears that stick out are usually not too big. The problem is that the plastic-like cartilage is not folded properly. But did you know that you can actually mold your kid's ears - just like you can for floppy German shepherd's ears? Creative plastic surgeons know just how to tape the ears properly, and if this is done before your child is 3 months old, you might just correct the problem without surgery. You have nothing to lose by trying, except an operation.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

A neonate found to have prominent auricular deformity may have successful pin back correction if compression is performed during the first few months after birth. This is the early period where the cartilage is still pliable and malleable to re-positioning and may allow permanent medial or midline re-alignment. After 4-5 months compression therapy is usually no longer effective. Normally, surgical correction or otoplasty is performed later in the teenager years when full cartilage growth is completed. 

Continue Learning about Skin Care

How to Handle 4 Common Skin Problems
How to Handle 4 Common Skin Problems
Crow's feet, eye bags, frown lines, and liver spots. You can't turn back the clock, but you can hide the hands a little. First, always protect your s...
How can I alleviate the impact of radiation therapy on my skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
For short term relief, you can use a rich emollient (like Aquaphor) for dry, reddened skin. Avoid an...
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them.
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Drooping Chin?