How can my child's ears be pinned back without surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

A neonate found to have prominent auricular deformity may have successful pin back correction if compression is performed during the first few months after birth. This is the early period where the cartilage is still pliable and malleable to re-positioning and may allow permanent medial or midline re-alignment. After 4-5 months compression therapy is usually no longer effective. Normally, surgical correction or otoplasty is performed later in the teenager years when full cartilage growth is completed. 

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Ears that stick out are usually not too big. The problem is that the plastic-like cartilage is not folded properly. But did you know that you can actually mold your kid's ears - just like you can for floppy German shepherd's ears? Creative plastic surgeons know just how to tape the ears properly, and if this is done before your child is 3 months old, you might just correct the problem without surgery. You have nothing to lose by trying, except an operation.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Keep Your Skin and Sinuses Healthy This Winter
This winter you can still hear Dean Martin in TV commercials crooning "Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful," which pre...
What are the health risks of using a skin lightening product?
There can be several health risks associated with using skin lightening products, including: adr...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Drooping Chin?