How do I clean sunburned skin?

The most important thing you can do if you have a sunburn is to cool the skin by taking a cool shower or bath or placing a cold, wet washcloth on the skin. If the sunburned skin does not begin to heal in a day or two, call your doctor, especially if you have a fever and/or blisters.

Once the sunburn has healed, protect your skin by using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. In addition, cover your skin with clothing and wear a wide-brimmed hat to protect your face, ears, and shoulders from sunburn.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Stay Away From Spray Tans
Stay Away From Spray Tans
Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton have more in common than yesterday’s news. They’re spray tan fans and like other pale-skinned North Americans they’re o...
What precautions should I take after using a skin-lightening product?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
To lighten skin or not is your business. But if you do it, do it safely. And once you remove the nat...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can I Look Younger?
How Can I Look Younger?