How is cellulite formed?

Haideh Hirmand, MD
Plastic Surgery
Cellulite has three components: fibrous bands, fat nodules and a skin component. In this video, plastic surgeon Haideh Hirmand, MD, explains how these components work together to create and form cellulite, and factors that can make cellulite worse.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Cellulite in general is associated with three components. First, the skin appears as hills and valleys, with pits. There are actually 3 grades of cellulite depending upon the extent of depressions and pitting and skin quality. The majority of patients we see have grade 2 cellulite with moderate pitting and depressions. Second, there are small fat deposits deep to the subdermis that cause the hill effect. Lastly, the fibrous septae that attach the subdermis to the deep fascia over the muscle, tether the skin into depressions, and pits. The new FDA approved Cellulaze laser (1440nm YAG) treats all 3 problems with a Single treatment. The laser first emulsifies the small bumps of fat, followed by subcision of the fibrous septae, and finally subdermal thickening of the skin with increased collagen formation.

No one likes the puckering and bubbling of our skin that comes with age. It can strike anyone, from the skinny and fit to the rotund and flabby, and there's not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it. Our skin is attached to the muscle beneath it with fibers, and as we accumulate fat with age, it stretches the spaces between the fibers and causes that telltale dimpling of the skin.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Skincare Shocker: Women, Shave Your Face!
I remember first learning to shave. Crouching over the running tub in a bathing suit, shimmery, raspberry-scented Skintimate splattered everywhere, tr...
Why am I getting cellulite?
You may be getting cellulite because you may not be able to avoid it. You can try to minimize cellul...
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
Take better care of your skin with these quick lessons from a dermatologist.
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?