How are pigmented birthmarks diagnosed?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The majority of pigmented lesions are diagnosed by clinical examination of the skin. All 3 hemangiomas, port-wine stains, and cafe-au-let spots are benign skin lesions that can be properly diagnosed by a Board Certified dermatologist. Suspicious lesions may require biopsy, although most pigmented lesions are benign.

Deborah Mulligan
Deborah Mulligan on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
There are two main categories of birthmarks — red birthmarks and pigmented birthmarks. Red birthmarks are a vascular (blood vessel) type of birthmark. Pigmented birthmarks are areas in which the color of the birthmark is different from the color of the rest of the skin.  In most cases, your doctor can diagnose a pigmented birthmark based on the appearance of the skin. Deeper birthmarks can be confirmed with tests such as MRI, ultrasound, CT scans, or biopsies.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Mercury was the Roman god of shopkeepers, thieves, tricksters and transporters of goods. Bingo! We’re not sure how all those centuries ago they knew w...
How can I improve my skin’s appearance in nine days?
If I had to give you one word that is the root of all evils today, at least when it comes to health ...
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
Take better care of your skin with these quick lessons from a dermatologist.
What Causes Lip Lines?
What Causes Lip Lines?