How are cellulite treatments performed?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

At this present date of December, 2012, the only FDA approved treatment for cellulite removal is the Cellulaze laser by Cynosure. This powerful laser is a 1440 nm nd YAG laser that works in three ways. First, the small hills or mountains of fat are lasered, followed by turning the laser 90 degrees to subcise the fibrous septae that caused by dimpling. Lastly, the laser is turned upward and at least 50% of the joules of energy and heat are diverted under the skin. This creates increased collagen, elastin, and tightens and thickens the dermis. So far, the results of Cellulaze have been found to improve over the first 3-6 months. We perform these surgeries under general anesthesia for larger areas that include: the lateral thighs, buttocks, and infragluteal folds. 

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Skincare Shocker: Women, Shave Your Face!
I remember first learning to shave. Crouching over the running tub in a bathing suit, shimmery, raspberry-scented Skintimate splattered everywhere, tr...
What is sweat?
Sweat is a salty fluid that acts as a cooling agent for the body. Unfortunately, when mixed with bac...
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
Take better care of your skin with these quick lessons from a dermatologist.
How Can I Look Younger?
How Can I Look Younger?