How do antibacterial products affect skin barrier function?

While many antibacterial products contain added moisturizers such as aloe, they still tend to be overly drying and can irritate the skin. Skin also relies on a certain amount of "good" bacteria for normal protection, and loss of that can be detrimental to the health of the individual. In order to keep skin's protective barrier intact and functioning properly, it is best to stay away from harsh cleansers and devices that aggressively exfoliate the skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
Your 20s This is a time of subtle changes. In your 20s, expression lines may begin to show as your skin's collagen and elastin start to break down. Ph...
What can I do if I sweat more on one side?
Our bodies are not symmetrical -- one side is not the same as the other. And some people even sw...
10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist
10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist
Get the facts about vampire facials, cryotherapy, fish pedicures and other strange spa trends.
What Is the Most Effective Treatment for Cellulite?