Do my genes control how fast my skin ages?

While environmental and lifestyle factors no doubt play a major role in how you age, experts say that pure genetic luck is the foundation of the equation. A 2009 study of twins published in the Archives of Dermatology revealed that up to 60 percent of skin aging is due to genetics, Dr. Heidi Waldorf, director of laser and cosmetic dermatology at New York’s Mount Sinai Hospital, told us.

But be forewarned—this fact could work against you if the assumption that you have “good” genetic odds leads you to not care for your skin. “You can have the best genes in the world, but if you smoke or bake in the sun, you’ll look 10 to 15 years older,” says Los Angeles dermatologist, Dr. Ava Shamban. “Moral of the story: Don’t count on your genes to save you from a poor lifestyle. It’s genetics and environmental damage to genetic code that determines the speed you age.“

Continue Learning about Skin Care

How to Keep Your Skin Healthy
How to Keep Your Skin Healthy
No matter what your age, taking care of your skin should be a priority. “As we age, our skin's ability to keep itself hydrated, glistening and supple ...
How can I do a skin check at home, and how often do I need to do it?
Stripping down and inspecting your moles, freckles, and other skin spots isn't exactly fun, but it i...
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them.
What Can I Do to Feel Younger?
What Can I Do to Feel Younger?