Do clogged skin pores cause infection?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
When a skin pore gets clogged with a mixture of oil and dead skin cells, a whitehead or blackhead may result. If the blocked pore becomes infected with bacteria, a pimple can develop. Clogged pores are more common during times of hormonal fluctuation, such as during adolescence, pregnancy, or menstruation, or with the use of birth control pills. Clogged pores may also be caused by humidity, sweating, irritation, oily cosmetic products, and poor skin care.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them. Of all the weird, wacky issues that hum...
3 Tips to Stop Puffy Eyes
3 Tips to Stop Puffy Eyes
Is There an Eye Cream with Caffeine for Puffy Eyes?
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?
How Can Laser Treatments Help My Skin?