How do I determine the amount of washing my skin needs?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Besides the type of cleanser you use, the amount of washing you do is important. Unless you have very oily skin, there's no need to wash your face more than once a day, especially if you have dry skin. Cleanse at the end of the day to remove grime, sweat, makeup, and oil. It's unlikely that your skin will get too greasy or dirty overnight, so rinsing it with water in the morning (rather than rewashing) is all that's necessary. And it won't strip your skin of its healthy supply of natural oils that protect the skin's epidermal barrier. Splashing cold water on your face in the morning is especially refreshing. It causes vasoconstriction of the vessels and brightens your complexion, and it makes your pores look tighter.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
Your 20s This is a time of subtle changes. In your 20s, expression lines may begin to show as your skin's collagen and elastin start to break down. Ph...
How do I evaluate what kind of skin I have?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
It's important to realize that skin does not exist in a vacuum. The way it reacts is tied to everyth...
What Can I Do to Prevent or Lessen My Cellulite?