Can darker skin get sunburned?

The darker skin you have, the more melanin (or pigment) you make. Melanin will help your skin prevent a sunburn, but you could still have damage from the sun, regardless of burned skin. Such damage is linked to skin cancer. Also, areas of skin, such as the palms, may have a lighter color (less melanin) and could get burned.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Psoriasis
A psoriasis diagnosis can be surprising—and because the exact cause of the condition in unknown—confusing. Take charge of your condition and treatment...
What should I do if I've a complexion with lots of freckles and redness?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
Intense pulsed light or IPL is the best treatment for the type of problems you are describing. IPL g...
6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin
6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin6 Ways to Prevent Dry Skin
Keep your skin hydrated with these simple tips from a dermatologist.
How Can I Stop Making Facial Expressions That Cause Wrinkles?