Can an atypical mole be a symptom of another condition?

Atypical moles can be an early warning sign that a person is at increased risk of melanoma, a type of skin cancer. An atypical mole is a growth on the skin that is usually between a quarter inch and a half inch in diameter. Unlike typical moles, which are usually round, atypical moles have uneven edges. Your risk for skin cancer is higher if you have many atypical moles, and if you have close family members who have had melanoma. Be sure to see a dermatologist if you have any suspicious growths on your skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Dr. Amy's 7 Habits for Healthy Skin
Dr. Amy's 7 Habits for Healthy Skin
Wondering what you can do to nurture vibrant, healthy skin from the inside out? Tackle stress! Make Dr. Amy's seven habits—which are the heart and sou...
When can an atypical mole become serious?
People who have atypical moles are at increased risk for developing a type of skin cancer called mel...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?