How can I alleviate the impact of radiation therapy on my skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
For short term relief, you can use a rich emollient (like Aquaphor) for dry, reddened skin. Avoid any products with drying irritants like fragrance or alcohol and be especially careful about sun protection (since this vulnerable skin is hypersensitive to the sun). The good news is that there are many effective OTC products specifically made for chemo and radiation rashes. One is Lindi Skin Cooler Pads with aloe and green tea to soothe the inflamed area. Products like this can be found online, but consult your physician first to be on the safe side. The oncologist may have a few good suggestions too.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Skin Care

7 Makeup Mistakes You Are Probably Making and How To Fix Them
It’s likely you’ve had the same skin and makeup routine for years, but you may want to think about updating your regimen. Why? Some of those habits ma...
Who has excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is estimated that approximately 1% of adults suffer from hyperhidrosis. Typically excessive sweat...
10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist
10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist10 Bizarre Beauty Treatments You Won’t Believe Actually Exist
Get the facts about vampire facials, cryotherapy, fish pedicures and other strange spa trends.
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?