How can I work circuit training into my skating conditioning?

Circuit training is a great way to combine both a cardiovascular and strength training session into a short timeframe.  For most skaters, putting on a lot of muscle during your weight training session is not the goal.  Skaters want to get stronger, but conditioning is more important to success in a long routine.  Circuit training is a good way to get the strength you will need while continuing to build on your cardiovascular fitness.  Because of the already high demands on the legs and upper body during competitions and practices, the circuit programs should have limited exercises.  The upper-body exercises should focus on the larger muscle groups, with exercises that will keep you in good form.  The lower-body exercises should consist of more squatting and plyometric exercises.  The circuit should be short with limited rest and high repetitions.  Using medicine balls, exercise bands, and dumbbells allows for creativity in the exercises while enabling you to move from one exercise to the next quickly.

Continue Learning about Skating