What muscles are important to work for rollerblading?

Eric Beard
Sports Medicine

I love rollerblading! Core stabilizer muscles (abs and low back) need to provide you your platform to push off from. The hips and thighs give you that push. A total body strengthening program is beneficial, but the core, hips and thighs are the big three with rollerblading. Stretching, balance exercises and plyometrics performed moving side to side are additional things to add into your program once you get going. Make sure to stretch especially if you aren’t used to moving side to side like you have to when rollerblading. I have seen many a pulled groin, so warm up, stretch out and cool down when done to keep muscles and joints healthy. Oh, don’t forget the helmet, wrist guards and knee pads too;) Your mom would want you to wear them for safety’s sake.

Rollerblading requires a strong core, thighs, and inner thighs. However, it is important to train all the major muscle groups because the body functions as a unit, not as individual muscles in isolation. To train the core, perform exercises like prone iso-abs, or plank. To perform the prone-iso abs, or plank, lie on your stomach with the elbows under the shoulders and the forearms on the ground. Lift your body up until you are in a flat back position, hold for 2 seconds, and then return to the ground. Complete 1-2 sets of 15 repetitions using a slow tempo. To work the thighs, perform lunges for 1-3 sets of 12-20 repetitions using a slow tempo and lighter weights. Rest for 45 seconds between sets. To work the inner thighs, use the same set, repetition, tempo, weight, and rest protocol as the standard lunges and perform side lunges instead.

Continue Learning about Skating

Can skaters do strength and conditioning in a group setting?
Strength and conditioning is a very important component of off-ice training. It is typically offered...
How can I avoid injury during in-line skating?
It is advisable to receive proper instruction to attain basic skills and techniques first. A certifi...
Will balance skills help my skating?
Balance skills are an important part of a performance training program, and can enhance skating ...
Do I have to warm-up before skating?
A warm-up is important to prepare the body mentally and physically for the work and demands ahead. C...