Will taking ballet help my strength for skating?

Ballet can be a very helpful tool in increasing stability and strength for skating. Stability must be achieved before strength, so this is a great combination result of ballet cross training. Many skating elements come from ballet, so not only will a student be taught the original moves and techniques, but he/she can also learn cues and flexibility drills to enhance those moves. Another benefit of ballet training is the mental focus and discipline that is taught during each class. This can carry over to skating practice and performance. It is still important to include strength and conditioning work off the ice and ballet can be one means of doing this for a skater.
Ballet can definitely help your strength in skating.  Ballet training is very focused and methodical.  It can provide a great form of cross training for skaters.  There is a crossover between many of the positions and movements in ballet and skating and by working on them in a stable environment off the ice, you can improve your strength.  Ballet will also help with the musicality required in skating.  Training will also improve your coordination on the ice.  Again, by removing yourself from the ice, you can perfect coordination and strength in movements in the ballet studio.  

Continue Learning about Skating

How do I warm-up for rollerblading?
To warm-up for rollerblading, use a combination of foam rolling followed by dynamic stretching. ...
How can I enhance my endurance for skating?
Endurance is an important component for figure skating. During a long or short program, the demands ...
What is the best way to prevent fatigue while skating?
To prevent fatigue, it is important to have proper fuel and hydration before a skating session o...
What power drill should a skater do for jump training?
A power drill or exercise for jump training is one that includes fast and explosive movements. A sin...