Do I need to stretch when I am done skating?

Stretching is important after a workout, practice, or competition. The goal of a cool-down, or stretching after a workout, is to relax the muscles and bring them back to proper resting length. This can be done with static stretching or self-myofascial release (foam rolling). Static stretching takes a muscle to a point of tension, and is then held for at least 30 seconds. An example of static stretching is a static calf stretch. This can be done by facing a wall or counter top. One leg should be extended back keeping the foot and knee straight ahead and the heel on the floor. With the abdominals drawn-in, bend the elbows and lean toward the wall. It is important to keep the back foot straight without flattening, the buttock and quadriceps muscles of the back leg tight, and the back heel grounded. Self-myofascial release is a technique using a tool such as a foam roller to gently apply pressure to the fascia and muscle tissue to release "knots" much like getting a massage. An example of self-myofascial release is foam rolling the inner thigh. Start by laying on the floor face down in prone position with the foam roller parallel to the hip. Place the inner thigh or groin area onto the roller with a straight leg. Slowly roll through the the mid-point of the thigh to find a tender spot. Once found, hold the position until the tenderness is reduced.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will the right boots help my skating ability?
Proper boots and boot fitting is mandatory not only for skating ability, but also for preventing inj...
Will jumping up to a box help my skating jumps?
A box jump-up is an exercise that can help improve skating jumps. It is a plyometric training ex...
How can I improve my skating sit spins?
A sit spin requires a great deal of flexibility around the knees, hips, and back as it requires ...
Will working out in a gym help my endurance for skating?
Working out correctly in any location can increase endurance for skating. There are different types ...