Will I get strength and conditioning training from my skating coach?

This depends on the individual coach and the program in which you participate. Usually, on-ice conditioning includes working on specific elements and movements needed to skate, to prepare a program, and to work toward competition or performance. An on-ice coach dedicates time solely to these elements and skills, and rarely has time to work on other strength and conditioning skills. However, these skills are very important and can contribute to greater success as a skater or athlete. This is the reason most skaters have off-ice coaches or trainers. Off-ice lessons include working on skills of postural enhancement, total-body strength, flexibility, power, and speed. Therefore, it is typically necessary to participate in strength and conditioning off the ice.

Continue Learning about Skating