Will I get strength and conditioning training from my skating coach?

This depends on the individual coach and the program in which you participate. Usually, on-ice conditioning includes working on specific elements and movements needed to skate, to prepare a program, and to work toward competition or performance. An on-ice coach dedicates time solely to these elements and skills, and rarely has time to work on other strength and conditioning skills. However, these skills are very important and can contribute to greater success as a skater or athlete. This is the reason most skaters have off-ice coaches or trainers. Off-ice lessons include working on skills of postural enhancement, total-body strength, flexibility, power, and speed. Therefore, it is typically necessary to participate in strength and conditioning off the ice.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will the right boots help my skating ability?
Proper boots and boot fitting is mandatory not only for skating ability, but also for preventing inj...
What skills enhance my strength for skating?
Resistance training that targets stability and strength are important to enhance skating ability...
Where is strength and conditioning taught for skaters?
Strength and conditioning is usually taught in a gym, outdoors, or in a private training facility. S...
What are basic exercises to help with jumping in rollerblading?
Basic exercises to help with jumping are the squat jump with stabilization and the side box jump...