Will jumping up to a box help my skating jumps?

A box jump-up is an exercise that can help improve skating jumps. It is a plyometric training exercise that can enhance performance and skills by teaching the body how to reduce and produce forces. With proper form and technique, a box jump-up can be a great exercise for a beginner or professional athlete. The box height should begin low, and progressions should only be made when perfect form exists continuously. To execute a box jump-up, stand behind the box, lower the body into a squat position, jump, and land softly on top of the box in a slight squat position. The knees, feet, and head should remain straight ahead. Spinal alignment should be maintained throughout, with the abdominals engaged.

Continue Learning about Skating

Can I do interval training on ice skates?
Interval training is very effective for a sport such as skating because of its anaerobic and aer...
Will taking ballet help my strength for skating?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Ballet can definitely help your strength in skating.  Ballet training is very focused and methodical...
Do I need to build upper-body strength for skating?
Although most skaters focus tremendously on lower-body strength and conditioning, upper-body strengt...
What power drill should a skater do for jump training?
A power drill or exercise for jump training is one that includes fast and explosive movements. A sin...