How can I improve my skating sit spins?

A sit spin requires a great deal of flexibility around the knees, hips, and back as it requires sitting all the way down with one leg extended. An assessment should be done to reveal lack of flexibility in these areas or restrictions around any joints involved. It is best to have a professional make this assessment, and then address the lack of motion with a specific and individual stretching program. A common sight of tightness during the sit spin is the hamstrings. Improve flexibility in this muscle by performing foam rolling and static stretching. Foam rolling is a self-massage technique used to release knots, or adhesions, in a muscle and help restore it to its proper length. To stretch the hamstrings, lie on the floor face-up with legs extended. Bring one leg up to a right angle, flexed at the knee and hip. Place opposite hand of the bent knee behind the knee, and extend the knee to the point of a mild stretch. Keep abdominals in, and neck and shoulders relaxed. Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds. Not all bodies move the same or are as flexible as one another. Knowing exactly what the limitations are, what to stretch, how to stretch properly, and in what progression is very important.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will jumping up to a box help my skating jumps?
A box jump-up is an exercise that can help improve skating jumps. It is a plyometric training ex...
Should I wear a heart rate monitor when training for skating?
Heart rate training is useful for any sport because it will provide feedback on the intensity of...
Where is strength and conditioning taught for skaters?
Strength and conditioning is usually taught in a gym, outdoors, or in a private training facility. S...
What is the best way to prevent fatigue while skating?
To prevent fatigue, it is important to have proper fuel and hydration before a skating session o...