How can I improve my skating sit spins?

A sit spin requires a great deal of flexibility around the knees, hips, and back as it requires sitting all the way down with one leg extended. An assessment should be done to reveal lack of flexibility in these areas or restrictions around any joints involved. It is best to have a professional make this assessment, and then address the lack of motion with a specific and individual stretching program. A common sight of tightness during the sit spin is the hamstrings. Improve flexibility in this muscle by performing foam rolling and static stretching. Foam rolling is a self-massage technique used to release knots, or adhesions, in a muscle and help restore it to its proper length. To stretch the hamstrings, lie on the floor face-up with legs extended. Bring one leg up to a right angle, flexed at the knee and hip. Place opposite hand of the bent knee behind the knee, and extend the knee to the point of a mild stretch. Keep abdominals in, and neck and shoulders relaxed. Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds. Not all bodies move the same or are as flexible as one another. Knowing exactly what the limitations are, what to stretch, how to stretch properly, and in what progression is very important.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will taking ballet help my strength for skating?
Ballet can be a very helpful tool in increasing stability and strength for skating. Stability must b...
Is the type of boot important for speed skating?
A correct boot for speed skating is mandatory to participate in the sport. A professional should be ...
What tools can I use at home to increase my endurance for skating?
Any cardiorespiratory activity can help increase endurance. Jumping rope is easy and fun, and does n...
Is there a way to know if I am overusing certain muscles while skating?
Many athletes such as skaters favor one side of their body. There tends to be a favorite jumping leg...