Is it important to assess flexibility before skating?

Flexibility is a big component of skating and is used for the ability to jump, spin, and execute many movements. A flexibility assessement will reveal muscular or joint tightness and imbalances. Generally, it is recommended to have this assessment done by a qualified movement specialist. For instance, a physical therapist or a soft tissue chiropractor can look at ranges of motion around the muscles and joints. Some skaters are born with joints that will not move like other skaters. However, if muscle tightness is the culprit of a lack of motion or flexibility, an appropriate flexibility program can be designed to enhance movement and can help prevent injury.

Continue Learning about Skating

What will cardio training do to help my ice skating?
With the emphasis on skaters performing more technical jumps, spins, pairs, dance lifts, and oth...
Can I do interval training on ice skates?
Interval training is very effective for a sport such as skating because of its anaerobic and aer...
What skills enhance my strength for skating?
Resistance training that targets stability and strength are important to enhance skating ability...
What are some ways I can test my balance skills for skating?
Assessing balance can be done numerous ways and can give you valuable information about things t...