How do I strengthen my ankles for rollerblading?

To improve ankle strength and prevent injury it is important to improve proprioception, or the feed back you get from the ankle joint. You can do this by performing a superset of a strength exercise immediately followed by a stabilization exercise that both involve the ankle joint. This type of training requires the use of the following acute variables: 2-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions using a medium tempo for the strength exercise and a slow tempo for the stabilization exercise; rest for 30 seconds between supersets. An example workout to strengthen ankles is: 2 sets of 10 repetitions of calf raises on a machine supersetted with 2 sets of 10 repetitions of single-leg squats. Follow this group with 2 sets of 10 repetitions of seated calf raises supersetted with 2 sets of 10 repetitions of single-leg step-ups to balance. To make the strength exercises more difficult, you can increase the amount of weight you use as resistance. To make the stabilization exercises more difficult, you can stand on less stable surfaces such as a half foam roll, airex pad, or dyna disc. By doing these exercises you can improve ankle joint stability and increase the muscle, tendon, and ligament strength of the ankle joint.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will balance training help my jumps for skating?
Balance training is mandatory for improving joint and muscular control, and is also a component ...
Is there a way to know if I am overusing certain muscles while skating?
Many athletes such as skaters favor one side of their body. There tends to be a favorite jumping leg...
What exercises help prevent low back injuries in rollerblading?
Good choices to help prevent injuries during rollerblading include floor bridges, prone iso-abs ...
How can I enhance my endurance for skating?
Endurance is an important component for figure skating. During a long or short program, the demands ...