Is flexibility important for in-line skating?

Flexibility is important to move properly without getting injured. Movement requires muscles to be elongated or stretched, and under the control of the nervous system.  Without a proper flexibility program, compensations throughout the body can continue, movement becomes inefficient, and injury is more likely to occur. Therefore, flexibility is important for any sport, whether it is recreational or professional. Seeking out a certified instructor for help with a flexibility assessment and routine is advisable.

Continue Learning about Skating

Can I prevent skating injuries by hiring a trainer?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Working with your coach and a trainer are good ways to prevent skating injuries. Your coach can assi...
What is a good cardio option for skating that will strengthen my legs?
The most important factor for skaters is to have strong legs to perform the high power demands that ...
Can skaters do strength and conditioning in a group setting?
Strength and conditioning is a very important component of off-ice training. It is typically offered...
Will I get strength and conditioning training from my skating coach?
This depends on the individual coach and the program in which you participate. Usually, on-ice condi...