Will leg exercises help prevent injury when I skate?

The leg and hip musculature is very important to keep strong during skating and for everyday functional movement. These muscles carry the body through space, and also allow for movements such as jumping, running, lunging, and squatting. It is important to choose the correct exercises and to have a progressive routine or progam to help prevent injury. An assessment should be done first to reveal any imbalances or lack of flexibility. Exercises should then be progressed from those that incorporate core and balance, to those that use strength and power. All exercises must be executed with perfect form, otherwise imbalances may arise contributing to compensations and injury. It is advisable to hire a certified trainer or coach to help with assessements and exercise selection. This person can also make sure that form and technique are upheld, and no compensations are creeping into the program.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will core training help my spins for figure skating?
There is now increased emphasis on spins and jumps in competitive figure skating. Spinning defin...
Should I do cardio in addition to skating?
Cross training, or engaging in other forms of cardio, is advisable for a skater. Increasing enduranc...
Is flexibility important for in-line skating?
Flexibility is important to move properly without getting injured. Movement requires muscles to ...
How can I prevent bruising from falling on the ice?
Falling is a part of the learning and practicing process of skating, especially while jumping. Good ...