How can I enhance my endurance for skating?

Endurance is an important component for figure skating. During a long or short program, the demands of the elements and movement skills can often leave an athlete feeling winded and fatigued. Although practice time on the ice helps increase endurance, it can also be filled with stops and starts which can disrupt the building of endurance. Working out on cardiorespiratory machines, such as treadmills, elliptical trainers, or stationary bicycles, can help with endurance. Outdoor exercising such as rollerblading or jogging can also increase endurance. It is important to find out which type of exercise works to sustain energy without depleting the body or causing excess fatigue. It is advisable to work with a certified trainer or instructor to choose the correct training tool, to have instruction on proper form, and set guidelines for progressing the duration of each exercise. Recovery periods are mandatory in any form of training. Proper nutrition, rest, and sleep will all aid in recovery and allow an athlete to continue the demands of training.

Continue Learning about Skating

Is there a way to know if I am overusing certain muscles while skating?
Many athletes such as skaters favor one side of their body. There tends to be a favorite jumping leg...
Can skaters do strength and conditioning in a group setting?
Strength and conditioning is a very important component of off-ice training. It is typically offered...
What are beginning core exercises for rollerblading?
Examples of basic core exercises for rollerblading include the two-leg floor bridge and prone-is...
Will taking ballet help my strength for skating?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Ballet can definitely help your strength in skating.  Ballet training is very focused and methodical...