Will core training help my spins for figure skating?

Yes!  When someone talks about having a strong core they're referring to the abdominal muscles, lower back muscles and muscles associated with the spine.  These muscles work together to provide stabilization, balance and good posture which are all essential for a figure skater.  When training be sure to incorporate all core muscles and not just the abdominals.  You'll notice a significant improvement over time in the speed, form and length of your spin.

There is now increased emphasis on spins and jumps in competitive figure skating. Spinning definitely requires a strong and functional core since the core is the part of the body where all movement begins. It is also where the body's center of gravity is located. Efficient movement can only occur if the core has been trained correctly and compensations or imbalances are reduced. The body's center of gravity should be stable, strong, and powerful. Training with appropriate exercises to produce stability, strength, and power around the core will allow for optimal movement and greater success with spins.

Continue Learning about Skating

Do I have to warm-up before skating?
A warm-up is important to prepare the body mentally and physically for the work and demands ahead. C...
Is there a way to know if I am overusing certain muscles while skating?
Many athletes such as skaters favor one side of their body. There tends to be a favorite jumping leg...
Does breathing effect my endurance while skating?
Breathing correctly can have a direct impact on endurance. Oxygen is needed to supply working muscle...
What are beginning core exercises for rollerblading?
Examples of basic core exercises for rollerblading include the two-leg floor bridge and prone-is...