Will core exercises enhance speed skating?

The core is the center of the body, or center of mass. It is the starting point for all movement, and is necessary for proper muscle balance throughout the entire body. It is certainly an important component for any recreational or professional sport including speed skating. When trained correctly, the core can protect the spine and hips when detrimental forces occur with activity. Some exercises to try are a plank, or prone iso-ab, and a medicine ball rotation. To perform the plank, begin laying face down on the floor. With the forearms on the ground and feet propped on the balls of the foot, engage the abdominals and glutes to lift the entire body off the ground. A straight line should be formed from head to heels with no dipping or lifting of the spine or hips. Hold the elevated position for two seconds, and return the body to the ground with chin tucked and back flat. Repeat up to 12 times as long as there is no reduction in form. For a medicine ball rotation, stand with the feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, and toes pointing straight ahead. Hold a medicine ball with both hands directly in front of the chest with arms extended and shoulder blades in and down. With the abs and gluteals tight, rotate the body and medicine ball to the right and then to the left, allowing the back foot to pivot. Repeat ten times.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will leg exercises help prevent injury when I skate?
The leg and hip musculature is very important to keep strong during skating and for everyday fun...
Is there a way to know if I am overusing certain muscles while skating?
Many athletes such as skaters favor one side of their body. There tends to be a favorite jumping leg...
Do I need to build upper-body strength for skating?
Although most skaters focus tremendously on lower-body strength and conditioning, upper-body strengt...
Will I get strength and conditioning training from my skating coach?
This depends on the individual coach and the program in which you participate. Usually, on-ice condi...