Do I need to build upper-body strength for skating?

Although most skaters focus tremendously on lower-body strength and conditioning, upper-body strength is important for skating. A good amount of postural alignment is held in the upper body and so it needs to have strength endurance. The core musculature throughout the upper body should also be strengthened. When looking at arm strength, it is important to understand that jumps and spins need controlled arm movements, which can be enhanced by strengthening. A strong and steady column from top to bottom, head to toe, should be balanced through appropriate strength exercises. All strength exercises should be preceded by programs that focus on training the smaller muscles surrounding your joints to work to stabilize the joints, and quality of movement should always precede quantity. A certified trainer can help to design a program that meets individual needs and set guidelines to maintain strict form.

Continue Learning about Skating

Is the type of boot important for speed skating?
A correct boot for speed skating is mandatory to participate in the sport. A professional should be ...
What skills do I need for in-line skating?
In-line skating should always be started with a partner or instructor. The safest areas to begin...
Will core exercises enhance speed skating?
The core is the center of the body, or center of mass. It is the starting point for all movement, an...
Can I do a dynamic stretch before skating?
Dynamic stretching is encouraged prior to activity such as skating as long as no compensations or po...