Will balance training help my jumps for skating?

Balance training is mandatory for improving joint and muscular control, and is also a component of all movement. Since skating jumps require balance during the take-off and the landing, it is necessary to acquire skills at different levels of balance training. These levels include stability (working on the smaller muscles that help stabilize the joints), increasing strength, and power. Using appropriate progressions and a balance routine designed by a qualified instructor, movement efficiency like jumping and landing can increase dramatically.

Balance training involves core development and core development is essential to any sport. It takes a strong core to provide a solid support system for explosive, powerful movements. When the deep core muscles that support the spine are weak, your nervous system puts the brakes on your explosive potential as a protective mechanism. Not only that, but insufficient core stability strength will set you up for injury and limit your mobility. You can use a stability ball,  bosu trainer, wobble boards or any exercise tool that creates instability to force you to use those core stabilizing muscles. Try these to help improve your jumps!

Continue Learning about Skating

Will I get strength and conditioning training from my skating coach?
This depends on the individual coach and the program in which you participate. Usually, on-ice condi...
Can I prevent skating injuries by hiring a trainer?
Hiring a certified trainer is an excellent idea. A qualified instructor can assess general imbalance...
Should I wear a heart rate monitor when training for skating?
Heart rate training is useful for any sport because it will provide feedback on the intensity of...
What are the basic skills for speed-skating?
The basic skills for speed skating include stopping, gliding, how to fall and get up, forward and ba...