What home remedies can help my child's nasal congestion?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Wet nasal passages do everything they're supposed to do better than dry ones. I recommend that you irrigate your child's nasal passages with saline solutions with high concentrations of salt, 2% to 3%, because the salt draws moisture into the mucous membranes from surrounding tissues by osmosis, thus hastening the restoration of the membranes' natural irrigating function. I was given the recipe for this hypertonic salt solution by two ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialists and is as follows: one quart of tap water, two to three heaping teaspoons of sea salt or kosher salt (both have no additives), and one level teaspoon of baking soda (such as Arm & Hammer).

Marketed as SaltAire and Ocean among other names, saline solutions come ready-made in a plastic squeeze bottle for easy inhalation of the solution. You may buy a similar bottle or purchase a 30 cc bulb syringe for administering your own low-cost home brew.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Sinusitis

When should I call the doctor if my child has a sinus infection?
Your healthcare provider can determine if your child has sinusitis and if treatment is needed. If yo...
How does sinusitis affect the body?
Sinusitis affects the sinus cavity with inflammation and tenderness in the nasal passageway. Your ey...
Are There Side Effects to Using a Neti Pot Too Often?
What Is Sinusitis?
What Is Sinusitis?