What home remedies can help my child's nasal congestion?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Wet nasal passages do everything they're supposed to do better than dry ones. I recommend that you irrigate your child's nasal passages with saline solutions with high concentrations of salt, 2% to 3%, because the salt draws moisture into the mucous membranes from surrounding tissues by osmosis, thus hastening the restoration of the membranes' natural irrigating function. I was given the recipe for this hypertonic salt solution by two ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialists and is as follows: one quart of tap water, two to three heaping teaspoons of sea salt or kosher salt (both have no additives), and one level teaspoon of baking soda (such as Arm & Hammer).

Marketed as SaltAire and Ocean among other names, saline solutions come ready-made in a plastic squeeze bottle for easy inhalation of the solution. You may buy a similar bottle or purchase a 30 cc bulb syringe for administering your own low-cost home brew.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Sinusitis

How do I manage my sinusitis on a daily basis?
Sinusitis can be managed on a daily basis by making sure that you get a lot of rest and drink enough...
Why didn't my doctor prescribe antibiotics for my sinusitis?
When sinusitis is caused by a virus or irritation in the air (like cigarette smoke), antibiotics wil...
Is There a Home Remedy for Sinus Infections?
Why Do So Many People Have Sinus Problems?