Does sinusitis affect children differently than adults?

Sinusitis will affect children differently than adults depending on the child's age. However, both children's and adults' symptoms start off like a common cold. Younger children usually have cold-like symptoms such as a runny nose or nasal congestion and a mild fever. If your child develops the fever after having the cold for five to seven days, it may be an indication that another infection may be present, such as pneumonia, bronchitis or an ear infection. Pus-filled or greenish colored drainage from the nose also usually occurs in children with sinusitis. Older children and adults may have symptoms that include a dry cough, ear pain, dental pain and face tenderness. Adolescents and adults may also develop nausea, stomach pain, headaches and eye pain. It is important that you consult with your doctor for the correct diagnosis and proper treatment for your child.

Continue Learning about Sinusitis

When should I call my doctor if I have sinus infection symptoms?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a sinus infection, call or go to the doctor or clinic for: Symptoms that last for more...
How should my child be treated for sinusitis?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines t...
Why Do So Many People Have Sinus Problems?
Is There a Home Remedy for Sinus Infections?