What is sickle cell disease?

In sickle cell disease, the instructions that tell RBCs how to make hemoglobin are different. This means that hemoglobin comes out the wrong shape, which makes the RBCs lose their normal shape, too, and become curved and stiff. Curved RBCs wear out faster than normal ones, so they’re broken down more quickly. Hemoglobin gets broken down, too, and without enough hemoglobin, the body can’t get all the oxygen it needs. This causes problems for people with sickle cell disease, like feeling weak, tired, and short of breath. 

SCD is a genetic condition that is present at birth. In SCD, the red blood cells become hard and sticky and look like a C-shaped farm tool called a “sickle.” The sickle cells die early, which causes a constant shortage of red blood cells. Also, when they travel through small blood vessels, they get stuck and clog the blood flow. This can cause pain and other serious problems. It is inherited when a child receives two sickle cell genes—one from each parent. A person with SCD can pass the disease or SCT on to his or her children.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

Can I play sports and be active if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
People with sickle cell trait can play sports and do other intense activities (e.g., military traini...
How can I find out if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
A simple blood test can be done to find out if someone has sickle cell trait (SCT). Testing is avail...
What Does The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Do?
How Many People Have Sickle Cell Disease?