What are the chances my baby will have sickle cell disease (SCD)?

If both parents have sickle cell trait (SCT), there is a 50 percent (or 1 in 2) chance that the child also will have SCT, because there's a 50 percent chance the child will inherit the sickle cell gene from one of the parents. Such children will not have symptoms of sickle cell disease (SCD), but they can pass SCT on to their children.

If both parents have SCT, there is a 25 percent (or 1 in 4) chance that the child will have SCD. There is the same 25 percent (or 1 in 4) chance that the child will not have SCD or SCT. If one parent has SCT, there is a 50 percent (or 1 in 2) chance that the child will have SCT and an equal 50 percent chance that the child will not have SCT.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

If I have sickle cell trait, do I also have sickle cell disease?
People with sickle cell trait don't have sickle cell disease and don't usually show any signs of the...
How can I safely play sports if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
Some people with sickle cell trait (SCT) have been shown to be more likely than those without SCT to...
How Many People Have Sickle Cell Disease?
When Was Sickle Cell Disease Discovered?