What are blood transfusions for sickle cell?

Blood transfusions are a type of treatment for sickle cell disease. The blood of someone who has sickle cell disease contains an abnormal form of hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that transports oxygen throughout the body. In some people with sickle cell disease, that hemoglobin takes on a sickle or crescent shape, making it difficult for the cells to move normally through blood vessels and raising the person's risk for blood vessel blockage and stroke.

Transfusions of red blood cells can increase the proportion of normal hemoglobin to abnormal hemoglobin and may reduce the risk of stroke and other complications in someone who has sickle cell disease.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

Can I play sports and be active if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
People with sickle cell trait can play sports and do other intense activities (e.g., military traini...
How can I find out if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
A simple blood test can be done to find out if someone has sickle cell trait (SCT). Testing is avail...
What Is Sickle Cell Disease?
What Is Sickle Cell Disease?
What Does The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Do?